Thursday, September 26, 2013

She's Back...

Ah...my inner bitch has emerged from her coma.  I found her!  Ok, well maybe just hints of her.



I'm feeling more like myself each day.  I don't know if my body is adjusting to the lack of hormones or if it is because I'm starting to feel a little better.  I was all girly emotions and cry-baby tears for the past two and a half weeks.  The past two days I have been having mood swings and the bitchy side of me has surfaced some.  My husband and boys probably aren't as happy about that as I am but I feel a little more like myself when I get upset that my teen didn't clean up after himself and not cry about it while feeling helpless.

Yesterday I decided to leave the house for a while.  I'm planning on going back to work Monday so I figured it was time to get out and see what my body will let me do.  I went to my teen's open house at school.  Today I'm paying for it.  I walked a little and sat up for about two hours at the school.  My ab muscles are killing me today.  It feels like I did 500 crunches yesterday.  Today I have decided its a couch kind of day.  Just resting.  I'm a little scared about going back to work knowing I'm not truly ready but I have to.  Hospital bills will start rolling in soon and I'm not getting paid to be off work.  Kind of sucks knowing I have to push my body instead of taking the appropriate time to heal.

Here it is 17 days post-op.  I'm feeling ok.  I have had some pretty bad days and some that aren't so bad.  I know there will be a time that I look back and think it wasn't that bad.  I'm looking forward to that time.  Its amazing what we allow ourselves to forget.  Unfortunately the short term memory fuzziness from menopause isn't helping with that yet.  I'm hoping getting back on track with some supplements will help though.

There is a lot of research going on about what supplements will help decrease your risks of cancer.  While we all wish there was a perfect cocktail of natural supplement tablets we could take, it just hasn't been found yet.  I do take 2000iu of vitamin D3 daily which has been found to decrease breast cancer risk, decrease risk of osteoporosis and boost immunities.  All three are beneficial for me!  Who doesn't want a stronger immune system and lower risk of breast cancer?  With me the osteoporosis is an issue.  I don't have natural estrogen anymore and that impacts bone health.  It also increases my risk for heart disease.  Everything comes with a price, right?  Unfortunately it seems so.  I don't have a family history of heart disease or osteoporosis but taking precautions are important.  Vitamin D is absorbed through our skin from the sun.  No, sitting by a window doesn't work and the amount of sun exposure needed to get the right amount of vitamin D isn't feasible for most of us.  Getting your levels checked is a simple blood test at the doctor's office.  Its worth having a look for most of us because more people are deficient than you think.

There are other things we can do to reduce our risk of breast cancer which includes breastfeeding.  Ah, one of my favorite topics and one I feel very strongly about.  I love breastfeeding.  Every single minute is a gift to both the baby and the mother.  The time I have spent breastfeeding my children is precious and only I have that bond with them.  Did I breastfeed because it reduces my risk? No. I did it because my mom told me I should and once I started I realized how much easier it was than warming bottles of stinky formula at 2 am.  Oh yeah, lots of other benefits as well but most of us know those benefits and I don't need to repeat it here.  The ease sold me, the bond got me through the hard times and the benefits made me passionate about it.

That's it for today.  I can't tell if its hot flashes or the heat from the MacBook so its time to turn on the fan again.  Thank goodness for remote control fans, ACs and electronics.

No comments:

Post a Comment